So, this online dating thing is supposed to be a great way to meet new people, right? You look at photoshopped pictures, read clichés masquerading as profiles, send digital winks, and attempt to start awkward conversations with strangers. If you’re lucky, some guy that sounds halfway interesting will say more than, “Hey, babe.”
Then you get a conversation going, but it’s probably the most stilted, unnatural conversation you’ve ever had in your life. That’s ok, though, because there’s potential! You’re excited and respond eagerly to the incoming messages. Then he asks for your number, and you’re sure you’re finally going to get a date. It’s about time, after all, since you’ve been stalking profiles for several months.
All of a sudden, the messages stop. What happened? You were sure he was The One! Or at least that you were going to get a free Starbucks out of all your efforts!
I’ll tell you what happened! Here’s your free guide to how to lose a guy in three emails:
- Be too eager
- Be a cold fish
- Ask him tons of questions to get to know him
- Don’t ask any questions
- Return every message right away
- Wait a few days, at least, before returning messages
- Be proactive and message him first
- Wait for him to initiate every correspondence
- Tell him all the details about your kids
- Tell him you’re not interested in hearing about his kids
- Ask him to go to church with you
- Tell him he attends the wrong denomination
- Say you hate sports
- Run faster than he does and leave him panting in the first block
- Text him good morning
- And goodnight
- Be possessive
- Tell him you’re meeting other guys for coffee as well
- Say you’re madly in love with him the third time you meet
- Be totally disinterested in his most passionate hobby
- And my final tip: actually give him your phone number!
Oy! Dating in this new-fangled age of digital matchmaking is hard, so we may as well laugh about it! What’s your best/worst tip for dating later in life?